Job Opening: Program Specialist
The UPEACE Centre for Executive Education (the Centre) is growing! As a small, entrepreneurial organization within the UN-mandated University for Peace, fit is everything. If you feel that you would be a strong addition to our dynamic team, you should apply to join us in Costa Rica. The application information can be found at the bottom of this post.
The Program Specialist will be a key team player in our organization. She/he will be responsible for hosting group courses in Costa Rica, as well as contributing strongly to marketing and new business development for online and onsite course offerings. We host up to 15 short-term programs annually, with experiences ranging from just 1 day to 3 weeks. During visits, the Program Specialist will serve as a cultural interpreter, guide, teacher, and all-around point person for incoming groups. When groups aren’t in town, the Program Specialist will help out with marketing, logistics and new business development for our other programs. In our hands-on, entrepreneurial context, everyone pitches in on all efforts, and it’s important to note that we expect the right candidate not to limit themselves to the bullet points below, but to be constantly looking for new and innovative ways to push beyond this in the best interests of the Centre. Due to the nature of our work, this role will require some flex hours including evenings and weekends. The Program Specialist reports to the Director of the Centre for Executive Education, Julia Delafield.
Specific duties include:
- University Groups
* Guide incoming visiting university or other groups on field visits and travel in Costa Rica; conducting debriefs and/or short presentations to engage the students and help them understand digest learning materials; serve as primary translator on field visits and during meals/travel; travel as needed within Costa Rica.
* Seek out and cultivate relationships with local organizations and businesses that can provide field visits or serve as speakers for visiting groups in different areas and topics
* Arrange group logistics including hotels, visits, meals and transportation as needed
- Professional Development workshops
* Provide support and actively engage with incoming participants in professional development workshops, from pitching in with coffee breaks to leading campus tours and helping participants understand how they may further engage with UPEACE moving forward
- Social Media Marketing and Management:
* Day-to-day management of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, including course announcements, updates on on-going Centre activities, and thematic ‘thought leader’ posts
* Social media marketing of online and onsite courses, including promoted posts, sidebar ads and events
- New Business Development
* Help seek out and cultivate potential partners and collaborators for online and onsite courses
- Marketing and advertisements
* Find new venues and maintain current marketing channels for all Centre courses, including websites, FB groups, newspapers/magazines and more
* Direct email marketing to our database
- Represent the Centre at selected fairs and outside events
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bilingual or fluent in Spanish and English **Required
- University degree (preferably in international relations, languages, community development, business administration)
- Experience in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment
- Strong personal skills and a desire to meet new people and interact with different cultures
- Self-directed, proactive, attentive to detail and a team player
- Commitment and a sense of personal dedication to the role of education, social innovation, and global competency in our ever-changing world
- Able to travel and manage a flex schedule that requires evenings and weekends when we run courses
- Physically fit enough to lead short hikes and maintain energy throughout field visits
Base Salary: $1,500 + strong benefits package
By October 11, 2017, please send a copy of your resume, in English, and answers to the questions below to email@example.com.
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please answer the questions in 600 words or less (for all three responses). Please note that for question 2, you may choose to answer a. or b. depending on your experience.
- Please tell us a bit about yourself and what attracts you to this position.
- a. Tell us about a partnership or program that you were instrumental in developing. What was your role in its creation, and how did this help further the goals of your business or organization?
b. Alternatively, tell us about a marketing campaign that you were instrumental in putting together. What was it for? Who was the audience and what was the impact of the campaign? What was your role?
- Now a fun one: Tell about a the most memorable get together you organized – whether a party, a reunion, or a surprise celebration for someone else. What made it particularly memorable for you?