4-week online course
Start dates: March 26 & October 15, 2018
Whether you work for a for profit organization, a non profit or a hybrid organization, there will always be a need to monitor the progress of the services your organization offers and to measure the outcomes of your program. Are you serving the public you intended to serve? Are you reaching all the people you are targeting? Are you offering services in the quantity and quality you had anticipated? These are some of the questions you will learn to ask in this course and find ways to answer at your own work place.
This practical course will teach you to improve your organization’s or business’ services and have a more significant impact on the populations you serve as a result of monitoring and evaluating your programs in a systematic way. You’ll be provided with practical tools that allow you to set organization goals and be more effective in the work place.
- Understanding underlying causes of the problem your program is addressing
- Understanding how your program works: Program Theory
- Program Monitoring: are you reaching your target audience? what changes is your program producing?
- Using data to make changes to your program and to communicate with stakeholders
The online course will use the Moodle platform. Course readings, animated presentations, videos, forum questions, and assignments will be posted each week, and students must complete the required tasks by the following week. Each session will require between three to six hours of work, including readings, assignments, and activities.
Program monitoring and evaluation has three primary educational objectives:
- To examine the implicit assumptions in a given project or intervention (Program Theory)
- To build the knowledge and skills to monitor program processes and outcomes
- To communicate data from monitoring and evaluation processes effectively for program decision makers
By taking this course participants will further develop the following skills:
- Identify and develop your program’s Theory of Change
- Make timely decisions from gathered data
- Determine your program’s effectiveness
- Provide compelling data for donors and investors
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Designed a Problem Tree Analysis of their program
- Created a logic model of their program
- Created monitoring tools appropriate for their program
- Practiced communicating findings to decision makers
Who Should Enroll?
This certificate course is designed for, but not restricted to:
- Nonprofit leaders and Social Entrepreneurs
- Business executives
- Public sector
- Individuals interested in international development
- Academics interested in measuring their program’s processes and outcomes
- People working in Corporate Social Responsibility departments
Participants should have an interest in program monitoring and evaluation. This course is a great follow up for Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Social Change.
$495 tuition rate. United Nations mandated University for Peace’s Centre for Executive Education certificate awarded upon completion of the course.
Enroll with someone else and each will receive a 15% discount.
Miguel Tello, Director of The Strachan Foundation, a family foundation that supports education and health projects throughout Central America. Miguel offers workshops on monitoring and evaluation for grantees in Central America. In addition, Miguel is the Director of the Center for Restorative Practices in Central America, an affiliate of the International Institute for Restorative Practices. He offers restorative practices training and consulting to a variety of NGOs, schools, churches and criminal justice professionals in Central America. He holds master’s degrees in public policy and international studies from the University of Washington in Seattle. He is originally from Mexico, but has lived in the US, Brazil and Costa Rica. He speaks Spanish, English and Portuguese fluently. He lives in Costa Rica with his wife and two sons.
Not sure you’re ready to apply? Interested in staying connected with the UPEACE Centre for Executive Education? Receive free e-newsletters, updates, videos, sample readings and materials by joining the Centre’s email list (click here) or liking our Facebook page at UPEACECentre. You may also contact us at email@example.com.