Show Me The Money!
Tackling Finance in the Social Impact Sector
4-Week Online CourseStart Date: March 4, 2019
Don’t try to raise money. If you try to raise money, you will fail. If you try to become the most high performing, effective organization in the world, people will flock to support you. An effective investment and partnership operation will give you money to change the world. This course will teach you how.
Money. For good or for bad, it makes the world go round. Without it, it’s difficult to get a project off the ground, much less sustain and grow its impact.
But the social sector has an advantage! Deep down, many funders, investors, and buyers want to know that their money is creating a positive impact on the world. We call these investors ‘Purchasers of Social Good.’ After identifying and mapping these purchasers of social good, you can learn to build a solid financial plan—complete with research data, benchmarks and metrics—and present information to funders and investors in a way that inspires confidence and motivates action. This course challenges you to break free of old models of “campaigning” for funds, and unleash the tools of business to make a case for investment in your innovative solutions and important work.
“It may seem something simple. It’s just semantics: donation vs. investment. But I think to a millennial, who’s grown up in a very different world, one that’s more participatory because of the digital tools that we have, to them they want to feel like they’re making an investment. Not just that they’re investing their capital, but they’re investing emotionally.”
– Amy Webb, Author and Founder of the Future Today Institute
Each week of the online course will present a new topic area:
- Week 1: Life is Sales: Make relationships; don’t run campaigns
- Week 2: The Art of Financial Planning: Big, Bad Budgeting -Determining and Planning Costs
- Week 3: Asset Mapping and Segmenting: Marketing and Positioning
- Week 4: Technology, Soft Skills and Leadership Training for Resource Development: Transparency – Leadership – Results
In this course, you will:
- Have a financial plan and budget projection for your new or growing organization that delivers social good;
- Dominate organizational development, technology, teamwork and agile leadership skills and hacks for fundraising excellence;
- Have produced marketing materials to sell your ideas to social good purchasers;
- Have the skills and mindset to cultivate, grow and retain strong relationships with funders, investors and partners; and
- Cultivate a global network of changemakers to refer to during the course and into the future.
This course is for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge in regards to funding and resource development. It is perfect for innovators, fundraisers, board members, entrepreneurs, and nonprofit and for-profit professionals alike. This course offers great insight on how to fund your wild ideas.
$595 tuition rate. Certificate awarded upon completion by the Centre for Executive Education at the University for Peace, established by the General Assembly of the United Nations.
Enroll with someone else and each will receive a 10% discount.
Shelly Galvin is leading technology learning company CBT Nuggets’ Director of Corporate Social Responsibility and Engagement. Shelly is a pioneer of modern corporate philanthropy. She has worked as a fundraiser and consultant globally with nonprofit organizations, NGOs, and social entrepreneurs. She also worked on a proposal development and business development team with small companies in Africa and the Middle East competing for USAID project funding. She’s won funding for projects large and small, from a $5,000 campaign for diversity in education training for local teachers to a $300M infrastructure project for USAID West Bank/Gaza. Most recently, Shelly helped NGO Drop in the Bucket win $100,000 from Coca Cola to aid South Sudanese refugees, the first time Coca Cola’s philanthropic arm has supported disaster relief efforts. Shelly holds a diploma in Social Innovation from the University for Peace (UPEACE) Centre for Executive Education.