Social Media for Social Innovation
4-Week Online CourseStart Date: October 12, 2021
You know social media is important. What is your strategy? How are you going to build community? How are you going to format your message to create social good?
The rules of communication are constantly changing. Our world rushes by in images, characters and statements via Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok. What do these new rules of communication mean for you personally and professionally?
Social Media for Social Innovation will teach you:
- Emerging tools and strategies for developing a voice, network, and funding for your organization online;
- Strategies for organizational leadership using online tools;
- How the new information technology shift impacts your organization, its mission and message;
- Organizational considerations for maximizing communication technology shifts to impact mission and message.
Check out this interview with course instructor Laura Garcia!
The online course will use the Moodle platform. Course readings, animated presentations, videos, forum questions, and assignments will be posted each week, and students must complete the required tasks by the following week. Each session will require between three to six hours of work, including readings, assignments, and activities.
- WEEK 1: How Emotions Change Hearts & Minds
- WEEK 2: Understanding Social Media Tools and Platforms
- WEEK 3: Adding Value Through Original Content and Moderation
- WEEK 4: Developing Your Storytelling Strategy
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Designed strategies for using virtual communicative tools;
- Explored and defined dimensions of Emotional intelligence;
- Interpreted EQ and specific strategies for growing self-awareness, self-management, empathy, and skilled relationship building;
- Learned how to develop online organizational strategies;
- Become familiar with and utilized the top tools for social engagement;
- Learned how to find support, funding and a voice for your organization online.
This certificate course is designed for, but not restricted to:
- Social Entrepreneurs
- Nonprofit leaders
- Innovative business executives
- Community organizers
- Recent graduates
This is a 4-week online course starting October 12, 2021
$595 tuition rate. A certificate is awarded upon completion by the Centre for Executive Education at the University for Peace, established by the General Assembly of the United Nations.
Enroll with someone else and each will receive a 10% discount.
Laura García facilitates the Social Media for Social Innovation course. She is a Mexican multimedia storyteller with a wide range of television and online experience. She started working as a multimedia journalist started back in her home town of Mexico as a photographer for a newspaper. Between 2008-2009 she lived and worked in Austin TX for a little while before coming to the UK in September 2011.
Since then, she has worked in different newsrooms across the UK: ITV Meridian, BBC South East, BBC Radio Kent, NBC News, R4’s The World Tonight and ITN’s Channel 5 News. As a result of growing interest in UK politics since the vote to leave the European Union, every once in a while she works as a foreign correspondent for Imagen Mexico, Bloomberg Mexico and Estrella TV in Los Angeles.
Currently, she teaches journalists from all over the world how to spot and verify disinformation. She is passionate about diversifying the media, cofounded a social enterprise called PressPad and runs the UK chapter of the Worldwide Association of Women Journalists and Writers.