Why Study Abroad with UPeace in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is a model country for sustainable development, peace, and social innovation, making it an ideal country for study abroad. The country has been a democracy for over 120 years and abolished its army in 1948. Adult literacy rate is over 90% and poverty has been reduced by 55% over the last 29 years. Costa Rica was also ranked safest country in Latin America in 2020 and the best ranked country from Latin America in the 2020 Global Peace Index. Stability and education have allowed for the development of innovative policies and civil society addressing a wide range of social and environmental issues.
Check out this TED talk on eliminating fossil fuel consumption in Costa Rica by the activist and former Costa Rica’s COP Delegate, Monica Araya, and the TED Talk by Christiana Figueres, the architect of the historic 2015 Paris Agreement, about her father’s job in Costa Rica and the stubborn optimism necessary to fight climate change .
10 Reasons Why Costa Rica is the Best Place to Study Abroad
1. A peaceful, safe democracy
2. Amazing landscapes – from rainforests & beaches to volcanoes
3. A hub for social enterprise
4. Clear Spanish – great for learning
5. UPEACE– an academic partner
6. Affordable compared to Europe
7. Friendly people and welcoming of foreigners
8. Very good infrastructure: From medical to wifi
9. Ciudad Colon – the perfect town from which to base your program
10. Pura Vida – the happiest country in the world!