David Allen’s Food for Thought
David Allen is an author, consultant, international lecturer, founder and CEO of the David Allen Company. He is widely recognized as the world’s leading authority on personal and organizational productivity. His thirty years of pioneering research, coaching and education of some of the world’s highest-performing professionals, corporations and institutions, has earned him Forbes’ recognition as one of the top five executive coaches in the United States. He was also named one of the “Top 100 thought leaders” by Leadership Magazine.
You can find more about David Allen and his company: Getting Things Done, here: http://www.davidco.com/
DAVID ALLEN’S FOOD FOR THOUGHT
QUESTIONS FOR COMPLETING AND BEGINNING THE YEAR
What have you actually finished, completed, and accomplished? If you haven’t made a list in the last year, I would highly recommend that you give yourself a treat and review the year that just passed and look forward to the year ahead.
When I go through these kinds of questions I like to consider my answers in several areas:
- Community Service
- Fun / creativity / recreation
- Completing and remembering last year
Review the list of all completed projects.
- What was your biggest triumph in 2011?
- What was the smartest decision you made in 2011?
- What one word best sums up and describes your 2011 experience?
- What was the greatest lesson you learned in 2011?
- What was the most loving service you performed in 2011?
- What is your biggest piece of unfinished business in 2011?
- What are you most happy about completing in 2011?
- Who were the three people that had the greatest impact on your life in 2011?
- What was the biggest risk you took in 2011?
- What was the biggest surprise in 2011?
- What important relationship improved the most in 2011?
- What compliment would you like to have received in 2011?
- What compliment would you like to have given in 2011?
- What else do you need to do or say to be complete with 2011?
Creating the new year
- What would you like to be your biggest triumph in 2012?
- What advice would you like to give yourself in 2012?
- What is the major effort you are planning to improve your financial results in 2012?
- What would you be most happy about completing in 2012?
- What major indulgence are you willing to experience in 2012?
- What would you most like to change about yourself in 2012?
- What are you looking forward to learning in 2012?
- What do you think your biggest risk will be in 2012?
- What about your work, are you most committed to changing and improving in 2012?
- What is one as yet undeveloped talent you are willing to explore in 2012?
- What brings you the most joy and how are you going to do or have more of that in 2012?
- Who or what, other than yourself, are you most committed to loving and serving in 2012?
- What one word would you like to have as your theme in 2012?